Saturday, June 28, 2008

24 Hour Read-a-thon: Hour 4

This hour
Book read: Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk, I Was Told There’d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Pages read: 44
Time spent reading: 46 minutes
Food and drink consumed: corn, tomato, and avocado pasta salad, mini Kit Kat bar

Total
Books read: Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk, I Was Told There’d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Pages read: 225
Time spent reading: 3 hours 21 minutes

Best quote of the hour: "Every time I open the drawer, it's a trip down Memory Lane, which, if you don't turn off at the right exit, merges straight into Masochistic Nostalgia Highway." Crosley is highly quotable and very funny.

This hour's mini challenge from Vasily asks for quotes from favorite books. I've written about it before, but the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is definitely on my list of favorites. The world he created is so realistic, and I feel like I really know the characters (from that world and from our own). My favorite quote runs throughout the series and is based on the idea that the gunslingers (knights, basically) hold honor in remembering where they have come from:

I do not aim with my hand. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I am with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand. He who shooots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.

3 comments:

Vasilly said...

Thanks for participating! Have fun and keep reading!

Eva said...

Interesting quote. :)

Unknown said...

Wow! Some quote. I've read one or two of the Dark Tower books. They certainly are an ambitious series.

When you're done reading, come by my blog to sign up for to win a free book of your choice.

http://www.readywhenyouarecb.blogspot.com

Keep on reading!!!